I consistently get asked the question “What’s the #1 thing that I should do to generate sales FAST in my business?”. This question usually comes from a business owner that has neglected sales and marketing in the past and is now in a pinch for cash, doesn’t have any money to start marketing their business and needs whatever they do to work right away in their business.
If this is the case, I urge you to ALWAYS start with the simplest, easiest and fastest way to make money.
Here are some quick suggestions on where to start (in no particular order)…
- Answer your phones LIVE and put every viable prospect into your database.
- Create a system for fueling and REWARDING referrals:
- At the point of sale
- In your invoices
- Quarterly campaigns (Valentine’s Day, Thanksgiving)
- In your newsletters
- In person when you go to their office
- Run a campaign to EXISTING clients to cross-sell additional services. If you aren’t sure what they need or want, run an ask campaign.
- Turn your business card into a GOOD lead generation marketing piece (get out of computer trouble free, discount, etc.)
- Implement a better follow-up system for the leads you ARE getting:
- Follow up IMMEDIATELY!
- Enter and track everyone in your database
- Send a “Shock-N-Awe” package to build credibility:
- Be polite, but eager and persistent – go for a “no” or a “yes”
- Put people into a “hopper” system that includes regular newsletters and promotions; a “no” now doesn’t mean a “no” forever.
- Run a campaign to all unconverted leads or “lost” customers
- Be somewhere and be seen – business expo, events, seminars, meetings, non-profit organizations, networking groups – and give out your new “Robinized” business card, and don’t forget to collect theirs and follow up quickly after the event!
- Start canvassing or use a “5-Around Drop”
- Contact your vendors and get listed on their web site (minimum), and request a meeting to see what marketing assistance they can provide
Pick one or two of the ideas here and IMPLEMENT THEM no matter how simple they may seem. Building a marketing plan is like building a house…you do it one brick at a time. It doesn’t matter where you start. Every one of these ideas should be acted on at some point, so just pick one and get going!
* Note: The Technology Marketing Toolkit (www.toolkitlive.com) includes detailed, ready to go templates for all of the above actions.