Marketing MUSTS For Every Campaign
The other day, as we were talking, a client shared with me an e-mail campaign sent out to close to 400 prospects WITH phone follow-up that generated a big fat ZERO. To be clear, not one of MY campaigns, but one they received from a vendor. After reviewing it, I saw that it violated almost every one of the “10 Commandments” of good IT services marketing. Unfortunately, I see this a lot; campaigns hastily slapped together without any strategy or understanding of what it takes to get a response. Time and money wasted. Therefore, I thought it would be beneficial to provide a slightly revised list of “MUSTS” for every campaign.
- There MUST be absolute crystal clarity on WHO we want to attract as a client.
- The list MUST be validated, segmented and cleaned to avoid waste and to ensure the message is tightly matched to the market (prospect) receiving it.
- There MUST be an offer that the prospect will see high value in receiving.
- There MUST be strong sales copy that SELLS the offer or next step, NOT the ultimate product or service.
- The communication MUST be written to enter “the conversation going on” in the prospect’s or client’s mind.
- There MUST be testimonials and/or other trust- and credibility-building facts.
- There MUST be clear, specific instructions on how to respond, and more than one way to respond, ideally OFFLINE and ONLINE.
- There MUST be multiple communications/touches, ideally using more than one media.
- There MUST be accurate tracking and measurement.
- There MUST be a plan in place to quickly follow up on leads generated.